This is a viral that affects the liver. It often comes on epidemic. The virus enters the body through contaminated water and food. The incubation period is 15 to 20 days.
Signs and symptoms of Infectious hepatitis
1. Loss of appetite,
2. Nausea and vomiting
3. Fever and fatigue
4. Mild abdominal pain
5. Hepatomegaly (enlarged liver)
6. Yellowish discoloration of conjunctiva
7. Urine turns to dark yellow
Treatment and nursing care
1. Complete bed rest
2. Advise to drink a lot of liquids rich in glucose, vitamins and minerals (Orange, sugarcane, lemon juice, glucose water etc)
3. Antibiotics and other drugs are not advised in treatment of infectious hepatitis as they may cause more damage to the liver.
4. Easily digestible – fat and protein free diet should be given
Preventive and Control Measures
1. The sick person’ s stools must be carefully disposed of to avoid spread of disease.
2. The person attending the patient must wash hands well after each contact to prevent cross infection.
3. Safe drinking water and better sanitation will help to get rid of infectious hepatitis from the community.